The virtues of omega-3 are becoming increasingly recognized. These polyunsaturated fatty acids are particularly notable for their beneficial effects on the cardiovascular and nervous systems. Yet, despite their importance to our health, our bodies are incapable of producing them naturally. This underlines the importance of their inclusion in our diets, such as with omega-3-enriched juices.
An effective trio
The omega-3 family consists of three key players: alphalinolenic acid (ALA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). EPA and DHA play a vital role in cell production and contribute to healthy bone joints.
DHA contributes to the normal development of the brain, eyes and nerves.
A healthy diet low in saturated and trans fats may reduce the risk of heart disease. Juices with omega-3 are low in saturated and trans fats.
How much is enough?
According to the Institute of Medecine, the recommended daily intake of omega-3 fatty acids for adults (19 years and older) is 1.6 g for men and 1.1 g for women. As an example, eating one or two fish fillets will allow you to reach this objective (an 85-g salmon fillet comprises from 0.9 to 1.6 g).
If you're looking to increase your daily intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids, Oasis juices enriched with omega-3 can give you the boost you need. The omega-3s they contain are derived from either of two sources: marine or plant (linseed oil).
Omega-3s from marine sources are derived from refined fish oil rich in fatty acids. You'll find them in the following Lassonde products:
- Oasis Concord Grape-Blueberry, 1.89-L non-refrigerated plastic bottle (20 mg of EPA and DHA per serving)
- Oasis Premium Orange with omega-3, 1.75-L refrigerated plastic (300 mg of omega-3 per serving)
- Oasis Orange with omega-3, 473-ml glass bottle (30 mg of EPA and DHA per serving)
- Oasis Health Break Strawberry and Kiwi with omega-3, 1.75-L refrigerated plastic (30 mg of EPA and DHA per serving)
- Oasis Fruit Fusion, 300 ml (30 mg of EPA and DHA per serving)
Are you allergic?
Omega-3s that come from linseed oil are an excellent alternative for you. Linseed oil contains no allergens.